Friday, April 2, 2010

Trailhead - Jennifer Baljko

I’m ones of those people, one of the few that actually stops at the trailhead and reads all the signs posted by the park service. There’s ton of information right there for the taking, just waiting to be absorbed. Mostly, I usually want to know what animals might be lurking out there in the bush, which plants will give me a deadly rash, and which insects may want to try to crawl up my pants. By taking a few minutes, I have learned how to protect myself against bobcats and wild pigs at Sawyer Camp Trail in California’s Bay Area. And, how to prevent being mauled by a black bear in the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area on the NJ-Pa. border. And, how to make sure pumas don’t mistake me for dinner in Argentina’s El Chalten park. See, all useful information for people who like playing the worse-case scenario.

1 comment:

  1. I love the image of you standing at the trailhead reading about all the dangers that might befall you on a hike! This would expand into a really good essay. The tone here is just excellent - and I love the topic!

    ReplyDelete