Thursday, April 8, 2010

Living Proof - Nancy Cech

Dogs are living proof of unconditional love. I’m not sure I’d even believe in the concept if I didn’t know this by first hand experience. I live with three dogs and know quite well that all they really care about is what is happening right now. Right now in this exact moment. And every moment is so much better when you have something to good to eat in your hand. Like a slice of cheese. You like cheese don’t you? I know I do. I’d like you even more if you shared your cheese. Yes dogs know how to keep things simple. And they are so eternally grateful for every happy moment. The exuberant thanks I get for just wetting down 3 bowls of kibble is amazing. I can pour through recipe books, dice and julienne my heart out for my son and barely get a grunt in appreciation. But put on the kettle to boil water for dry dog food, you’d think I was Julia Child. And they never complain about my driving or the routes I take to get us where we are going. In fact they think it’s amazing that I know my way to all the best dog parks. And they love the fact I can roll down windows and that our moving doghouse can stop for bone treats on the way home. (Although I do wonder if they think the dog park is where I go all day when I leave them at home. I mean I tell them I’m going to work, but do they think I’m at the beach all day?) They’ll watch anything you want to watch on TV without a complaint, they never leave the seat up in the bathroom. And except for a little extra hair in the bed and an unexcused fart or two, well they make for perfect sleeping partners because they never hog the covers. Yep dogs are living proof there is unconditional love and that there is heaven on earth.

1 comment:

  1. This is such a wonderful ode to dogs. You absolutely capture what makes us so grateful to have them. And what makes us put up with that hair in the bed and those farts! Terrific!

    ReplyDelete