Thursday, April 8, 2010

Being Fooled - Karen Oliver

I remember I was eating chicken fried steak at Dougal’s Mountain Inn when it happened. Tired from my trip to California looking for a home for Les and Sarah and I. What was it about the way she walked by me? I cannot picture the moment really but I knew immediately. I think it was a certain confidence in the way she moved, or maybe she looked at me or spoke; she is a blank. I sat there in shock and soon gathered myself together and went to the phone upstairs in my office to call Les. He had gone to Vegas with some friends and would return tomorrow. When I reached him at the hotel, I didn’t say hello. I said, “Did you fuck her?” What! He said sounding confused and upset. “ I just saw Jo and I want to know if you slept with her when I was gone? Did you?” He, of course, denied everything. I, of course, believed him because I had no choice. We were leaving town and moving to a new place together with our daughter. If I believed he was having an affair, my life would fall apart. I wanted to believe him but I was being fooled.

1 comment:

  1. Whew! You manage to tell an entire story here. I love all the details, all the dialogue. I love the narrator's knowing & her resignation. Really wonderful writing!

    ReplyDelete