Friday, March 5, 2010

Singing - Judy Radin

After lunch we gathered in the music room. Auditions for The King and I were starting and I really wanted to play Tuptim, the young girl being forced to marry the king. I’d already been in a ballet production of The King and I several years before. I played one of the Siamese children. We wore beautiful silk brocade pantaloons, matching silk jackets, and a traditional Siamese hats. The Siamese children didn’t sing, but we had several dance numbers that we did as an ensemble. I loved the music. I would hang around the rehearsal hall every day, singing along, learning the all the lyrics and dialog. So when the chance came to try out for Tuptim a few summes later I jumped on it. I already knew all of Tuptim’s lines. I would hardly have to study the script.

Marty the drama coach was in charge of auditions. There were about thirty of us trying out for Tuptim. I few hours earlier I was belting out I Have Dreamed, one of the character’s duets. But somehow, in front of the group, I had no voice. I sang a few lines. Marty stopped playing the piano and asked me to sing louder. We started again but I couldn’t get any volume.

“You have a great voice,” Marty said, “but you need to project more.”

I tried a few more times but I couldn’t sing any louder. There were too many people around. I felt self-conscious. I got all sweaty and my throat closed up. Finally Marty thanked me for trying. He directed me to sit down with the rest of the group. I was mortified. My friend Jill got her turn after me. Jill’s voice wasn’t any better than mine but she sang her heart out. She was fearless. She had confidence. She got the part.

1 comment:

  1. You absolutely captured the feeling of this scene! The longing to get the part, the disappointment of failing. It's all told simply, but compellingly.

    ReplyDelete