Friday, March 26, 2010

As For God - Camilla Basham

I had almost made it through the day without Sister Claire zoning in on me, well the best she could zone in with her one good eye, “Ruthie, exactly what did you tell your brother about God in religion class today?”

I looked at the clock and realized I may be able to stall for two minutes until the bell rings. The tapping of her ruler on the palm of her hand told me otherwise.

“Eddie asked me what God does with us after we die. I told him we get buried under a bunch of dirt and worms eat out our eyeballs and drill holes in our bodies.” The class gasped and the two mean girls each let out a loud “Ewwwwww.” Followed by, “She’s so weird.”

I shift in my desk, “I guess I should have told him the truth - that most of us go to Hell and burn in eternal damnation - but I didn't want to upset him.”

1 comment:

  1. Oh Ruthie, you've just got to love her! I am completely captivated by this character, and by her voice and her take on the world. And what she does to poor Sister Claire. I really think you've found your story. Just keep going with it!

    ReplyDelete