Tuesday, May 11, 2010

What I Found There - Rebecca Link

Once we had visited the Board Of Education for referrals we had permission to visit four children in the orphanage called House of Perm in Russia. We could have also visited the orphanage in Kungor but that is where Alonya was and I didn’t want to see her if I couldn’t have her.

I had no idea what to expect. It was in July and the temperature was well into the nineties. Our driver pulled up to the front of the orphanage. The building was two stories and painted white. There was a sidewalk in front with a black wrought iron fence surrounding the property. All of the windows were open with no screens. The white lace curtains blew in and out of each window. I could hear children and babies from the street. Some crying and some just talking but it heightened my awareness of these children that were left alone. As we approached the front door I could feel my emotions starting to swell. It was sad thinking of all these children without families. I was instructed that I shouldn’t show a lot of emotion in front of the children. It could upset them and make them feel something was wrong. All I could think is how am I not going to respond to all of this.

The doctor, a very strong and handsome man met us at the front door. He was kind and smiling. As we walked in we saw many large cribs with about ten children to a crib. The children were all in old cotton diapers and nothing else. It was hot so I’m sure that would be best for them not to have much clothing on. I have never seen so many children grouped together. It was very clean and organized. Lydia was one of the nurses who looked after the children. She looked very pleased we were there. I felt nervous and wanted to cry. I didn’t expect it to be this traumatic and emotional. All these children looking up at me with searching eyes made my heart ache for them. What I found there were so many precious children, children if I had the means I would scoop up in a bus and take home.

1 comment:

  1. All these pieces totally bring me back to going through all this! What I especially love about this one is the image of the open windows, the lace curtains blowing in and out, the sound of the children inside. Very, very evocative and moving!

    ReplyDelete