Thursday, May 20, 2010

What Happens After - Kate Bueler

What happens after. What happens after is I leave my earrings. I almost always do. Do. I leave earrings at a man’s place I am involved with. It has became a problem it really has. At this moment I have one pair sitting in a man’s closet waiting for them to come back home. There they sit and collect dust day by day. And I still want them. But how to ask for the earrings back or the books or the sweatshirts or anything for the matter.

Earrings. I stopped wearing them after after I got infections in my ears and decided I couldn’t. But at the ripe age of 26 I started wearing them again and that is where the problem started. I left my earrings places not just a friend’s house but at a guys places and some I was more involved with than others but I always got my earrings back. Somehow. I swore to see them one more time to collect my things. But if they were so important- why did I leave them in the first place? Why leave them at all? Why ask for them back? Just allow them to go into the abyss of the lost and found of dating. No that would be too easy. So I asked for them back each time they were my current favorite pair. One guy bob returned them to me on our 2nd and final date. Another guy Tony just brought them to some festival. Another met me at a coffeeshop. Those were easy to get back because none of those guys really meant anything to me.

But it’s harder to ask once, once someone means something and it’s not just the earrings you are asking for. But more. You leave them on the nightstand because you have seen that nightstand more often than not, it has became your friend, like the bed, and the roommates, and the dog and the. So you think nothing when you lay them down by your side you to sleep and think nothing when you leave them. Because you will be back. Of course you will. You get too certain, too cocky and then your earrings multiply into something more than they really should. Because yes you want your shit back-but you want more back then just material possessions that hang from your ear-you want more back. The earrings become another a meeting, a chance at goodbye, a chance.

A chance for something. I always ask for my earrings back but it really isn’t about my earrings because I never do leave the family heirlooms of my rings or earrings no never do I. I want more back, more back then the earrings. I guess I want another chance to make things okay. Another chance to make sure it is really over. Another chance to say goodbye. Another chance to get my shit and walk away. Walk away and really mean it. The earrings are replaceable but this thing these attempts at love aren’t-no they aren’t . They are real tries and real chances and all the earrings returned in the world will never make the disappointment feel less. No never will it feel less because of the returned earrings. But I still ask from them back. Every time I do. I ask for the earrings but really I am just asking for more.

1 comment:

  1. As always, terrific voice here! I love the way you use the earrings. I especially love the graph about how the nightstand becomes your friend - that felt very original. And I love the ending. A totally great piece!

    ReplyDelete