Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Don't Tell Me Twice - Kate Sullivan

Don't tell me twice. Don’t tell me twice. That it is stupid. I know this of course. Of course I know this. But it’s not something I need to be told. Out
loud. For I already know. I have known. Known all along. So. I only told someone as not to lie anymore. To myself. To you. To anyone. So how does one get this the first time around? So how does one get this a second time around?

Don’t tell me twice. It’s stupid to have unprotected sex. I know that of course I know. And it usually isn’t a problem. A problem for me. Me it isn’t. It isn’t something I do. Do until I usually know someone. Someone. But how well do we know anyone. Anyone. So I had unprotected sex with someone. Someone I probably shouldn’t. Shouldn’t have. Don't tell me twice. I already know. I already know. Now it was someone I knew. Someone I had been dating for awhile. But it happened. And the good news was. The good news was it was only the beginning. Not the end. The end could make all the difference. Don't tell me twice. I know I could still be pregnant. I know about the possibilities- and the precum stuff- and all the things I am supposed to. Because those are easy to know. But to actually take them into consideration, consideration all the time, all the time is hard. Hard it is to be rational during sex. During sex to be rational is like to ask a woman to stop her love for chocolate or chips or good conversation when she most needs it- yay right.

So I fear pregnancy. Not because I really think I am pregnant. Because not once have I been. Don't tell me twice I know birth control works, for I almost always use it. Use it. When I tell my acupuncturist that I am feeling emotional and she asked me could I be pregnant. I say well yes but no. And then as I lay back as I am poked with the needles in the same spot to calm my mind, to ease the pain in my mouse hand, to stop the possible headache, and to ground me. I wonder, I wonder what if I am pregnant? What if I am pregnant?

When I hit IKEA later with my friend and she drags me literally drags me to Wal-mart. Because I stopped going to Wal-mart- I am a good educated liberal of course. It is a sin, a sin one must not commit. Killing someone might be okay- but going to Wal-mart unforgivable. I decide instead of allowing this to play around in my head on the ping pong on the ____, that I will find out in this Wal-mart, this Wal-mart bathroom if I am pregnant or not. Pregnant or not. How white trash? How worth writing about? Producing material while going through the motions as not to freak myself out. Freak myself out. Because peeing on a pregnancy test on Wal-mart isn’t scary. I don’t feel alone. Think how many women have peed on the test and waited and waited and waited. Wait I did. Wait I will to be pregnant.

3 comments:

  1. Oh man, you totally captured the internal dialogue of this situation! I especially love the last graph, your ruminations on the sin of going to WalMart, and on how you're not alone when you pee on a pregnancy test in a WalMart's bathroom. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous! Fabulous! Fabulous! I love your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot that I already commented on this, but thought worth commenting twice. I love how you write with such bravery and raw emotion. Our best work comes form the darkest places and you show no fear of going to those places. The lines: "During sex to be rational is like to ask a woman to stop her love for chocolate or chips or good conversation when she most needs it- yay right." and "Killing someone might be okay- but going to Wal-mart unforgivable." BRILLIANT! I'm a fan!

    ReplyDelete