Thursday, February 18, 2010

On Drugs - Jennifer Baljko

Drugs could be a good thing right now. Maybe they would help me sort out that illusionary state of being I feel suspended in at 6:46 a.m. I’ve got my running shoes laced and am waiting for a time in the morning when the roads between my house and the park have more people scurrying about and the streets criss-crossing the park have more traffic. It’s Barcelona. Life doesn’t start early here. Even the sun doesn’t get up before 8 a.m. this time of year. Running before 7 a.m. is too lonely and creepy for me. So I’ll wait a few more minutes before slipping in reality.

After my run, I have to mentally prepare for four hours of Spanish class. My head is swirling with vocabulary and verb conjugations. I’m dreaming about the verb ser – to be - soy, eres, es, somos, sois, son, and confusing it with the Catalan I’m been speaking for a couple of years already. Same verb, different words. Soc, ets, es, som, sou, son. States of being make my head foggy. Drugs or sleep may remedy the mind game I’m torturing myself with. I guess, for now, I’ll opt for adrenaline.

1 comment:

  1. I love what you do with the verb conjugations here! Love how you weave them into 'states of being make my head foggy.' There's just something really poetic about that.

    ReplyDelete