Monday, February 15, 2010

Eating Breakfast - Jennifer Baljko

Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day, most days. Sometimes it’s lunch, or my late afternoon tea and chocolate snack. But, that’s neither here or there. Breakfast tends to rule as king of my table. I love the variety breakfast offers almost equally as much as I love the routine it creates. Some mornings, like today, where breakfast is besides the computer as I type, I’m struck by the simplicity – and worldliness – of it all.

Dollops of creamy Greek yogurt bought by the kilo at the Boqueria market in downtown Barcelona resemble meringue clouds. Bright red Goji berries they say come from the Tibetan side of the Himalayas, dried cranberries I’m certain are from New England, walnuts shipped from California, hazelnuts grown in the southern Catalonia around Reus, shredded coconut hand-carried back from the Philippines swirled together with locally produced honey. Sinful sweetness. Next to the yogurt, bananas from the Canary Islands dot my American peanut butter-slathered French baguette. And, the smooth Arabic blend from Kenya warms my throat. It’s the kitchen table world tour.

1 comment:

  1. Your second graph is just fabulous! Perhaps you should be thinking of becoming a food writer. It's all so evocative, so sensual. I want that breakfast!

    ReplyDelete