Monday, February 15, 2010

Making Breakfast - Karen Oliver

Break fast. I wonder what the origin of “fast” is? Its meaning is so different from the way we use the word. Breakfast. It doesn’t seem like a fast if you are sleeping through it. Fast implies some sort of discipline or sacrifice to me. I guess if I was breaking a fast I would do it with consciousness and be very delicate in my attitude. I would eat fruit, only fresh and organic ,or maybe yogurt or a smoothie with great ingredients like wheat germ or special honey.

I never think like that though. We have big family breakfasts whenever everyone is around. Pancakes made with the special recipe written in pencil on the back page of the old organizer, handed down from mother to son and worked with for years. A slight change in the flour or baking soda and it is a completely different creation and brings comments from the peanut gallery (for those of you who know what that is). Fresh “fruit goop” which is a cooked concoction that is exactly what it says it is and, of course, bacon. The best. No delicate “fast breaking” for our family.

1 comment:

  1. I love the images in this one, especially the pancake recipe written in pencil on the back page of the old organizer. I love also the idea of breaking a fast with a delicate attitude. Nice juxtaposition of this delicacy with the fruit goop.

    ReplyDelete