Sunday, May 10, 2009

Write Using the Word 'Coffee' 'Hallowed' 'Anticipation' - Melody Cryns

It’s another day, and I find myself anticipating my first cup of coffee of the day – still feeling a bit groggy listening to the cat meow for no particular reason and the birds chirping right outside the glass sliding door. And I brace myself for another work day. I took the last two days off – for so many reasons, and yes I feel a little guilty because really I wasn’t that sick or anything. I was preparing for my final projects, and doing all the stuff I couldn’t get done over the weekend.
It’s hard to get stuff done when there’s a 12-hour party at my house. Last Saturday, we had a surprise party for my son Jeremy, for his 25th birthday. His girlfriend Jen thought of it and spent a lot of time picking out special decorations – colorful streamers, balloons, and all sorts of small palm trees, including decorations hanging from the ceiling. They’re still hung in the living room, kitchen area and hallway.
Jen arrived early Saturday morning, before I even had a chance to drink coffee, and she and Megan began decorating.

Jeremy had no idea about the party, but he knew something was up. His older brother Stevie picked him up and brought him over at about 1:00 pm and we all waited in anticipation, just like in those movies when someone has a surprise party, turning down the lights and being super quiet after Megan ran inside and yelled, “He’s coming!”

And when Jeremy walked inside we all yelled happy birthday and blew off poppers and streamers – and Jen put one of those Hawaiian necklaces on Jeremy and the music began to play – tropical Hawaiian music. Jeremy was so happy and surprised. His dogs burst into the apartment and immediately began teaching my dog and cat, and we drank out of these cute tropical straws – and there are a lot left over so we’re all still drinking out of them.

We had no idea the party would last 12 hours, people coming and going, music playing, from Grateful Dead to Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd to Credence Clearwater and even a little Stevie Wonder thrown in. Jeremy, being the birthday boy, got to pick out all the music. My family was all there, and all the kids’ friends, plus Jeremy’s closest friends – an amazing party.
At one point, Jeremy opened his presents, and I had stuck in a couple of pieces I had written about him as a little boy. I had no idea that he’d read it out loud to everyone there at the party and they’d laugh at hearing my description of little Jeremy with the blonde curls. And my son Stevie yelled, “Mom’s writing the stories.”

And it hit me that this writing thing is so important – no matter what, even if at first my writing is merely words tumbled on to the white screen.

I’ve gotta tell the stories.

Because maybe, just maybe, someone will listen, I thought finding a hallowed lime peel sitting on the kitchen counter, two days after the party even.

1 comment:

  1. You so got me with the ending of this! Those last 3 paragraphs - the line 'no matter what, even if at first my writing is merely words tumbled on to the white screen' - are just so good. And the 'hallowed lime peel' is just a brilliant - and poetic - touch. Really nice, Melody!

    ReplyDelete