Thursday, July 8, 2010

Humor Me - Lisa Faulkner

It’s time to stop avoiding this. I made the mistake of letting my curiosity compel me to open and read the prompt last night. Part of me knew better. I almost closed it after the quote. But that cat inside of me kept going. I sighed. Oh it will be easy Brian is so funny, naturally, makes me laugh. Laughter and humor have been critical to our marriage. But then my brain kept on with the ideas. Composing in my head. There was the time 6 months after he ran into the imaginary brick wall and kissed me. We’d both chickened out in face of the puppy dog eyes a few times. After that first kiss, we was smitten. Before him I was more serious. I almost dated a guy who looked down on silly stuff. I remember a time we walked back from dinner to the dorm with a groups of friends. A couple of the seniors started walking on the curb as if it were a balance beam and cracking jokes. I was about to join in when Pat said something derogatory and complimented me on my adultness. Fast forward to the end of the following semester (8 months maybe), actually it was Christmas break. I’d come back early to spend time with Brian. We’d just spent hours exploring and playing at the Franklin Institute and we walking back to Penn up Chestnut Street. I couldn’t contain my new love and joy and did a silly little dance in a circle around him. He laughed with me then asked, “What was that for?” I replied, “I don’t know. You just bring out the kid in me.” He pulled me into his arms and I kissed him. Another time we explored South Philly together and after sharing a loaf of bread from a little deli, we shared a passionate kiss on the street. We were interrupted as a car drove by and a 5 yr old shouted outside the window: “Kissy, kissy.” We made the mistake of telling his parents later that day. For years afterwards anytime we kissed in front of his Dad we heard “kissy, kissy”

1 comment:

  1. This is such a nice piece! Lovely & romantic. I love the image of you doing the little dance around Brian. And I love the detail of 'kissy kissy.' Wonderful writing.

    ReplyDelete