Thursday, July 8, 2010

Cleaning-Up - Karen Cassey

I’m an Air Force Brat, someone whose parent/s served in the Armed Forces. My childhood was filled with adventure and it seemed like we were always moving. It wasn’t until I was five or six that I clearly understood why we were constantly on a new adventure. My dad was in the Air Force and we (my three siblings and mom) were following him from one adventure to another.

Japan, was one of my favorite adventures. There home’s were adorned with decorative roofs, where tassel’s with chimes blew with the breeze and it was always like music to my ears. My adventure had its very own sound effects. The Japanese women wore these beautiful, colorful Kimonos (means things to wear) with Geta Sandals (any sandal with separate heel) and Tabi socks (socks that have a split in them for the big toe).

During the work week, the women would wear these less glamorous blue and white kimonos. You would see the mother’s with their baby wrapped up tightly on her back, as she went along cleaning up her surroundings.

1 comment:

  1. You write very evocatively about this time in your life, giving us wonderful images of the Japanese women, of the sound of chimes in the breeze. I also love the idea that this wasn't exactly your adventure, but you all following your father on his adventures. You could definitely write more on this subject.

    ReplyDelete