Thursday, July 8, 2010

Humor Me - Judy Albietz

What do you think of the draft I sent you? Those hundred pages. Tell me the truth. I can take it. I have thick skin. It’s just a first draft, so I won’t be hurt by anything you say. What do you think of the characters? The story? Does it flow? Is it imaginative? Creative? Does it suck? Are you so repulsed you couldn’t even finish? Don’t hold back.

What? What do you mean you want me to change the plot? I asked you to review the writing, not the story. I know it’s rough, but what do you expect from a first draft. Of course it needs revision. What’s wrong with the plot? I’ve always thought my story was great.

You think the main character needs more depth, more conflict up front, more tension. What? How can I do that with my story?
I’m not trying to argue with you, but you know all this is just your opinion. If I ask three people, I’ll probably get three opinions. We wouldn’t want a world where everybody likes the same thing.

What … oh … you say you liked it. You enjoyed reading it. But I thought you said to change the whole thing, the arc, the plot, the characters.
You say you’re just making suggestions. Sorry, sorry I’m being so sensitive. I really appreciate the time you took to read this draft. After I make changes do you think you could take another look?

1 comment:

  1. I love the way you capture the entire inner monologue every writer goes through here! The rampant insecurity. The defensiveness. The out and out pleading for approval. Perfectly done!

    ReplyDelete