Friday, June 18, 2010

Not Untrue and Not Unkind - Karen Cassey

I've never been one not to get a job done, no matter what it takes.  Today has been a very hard day for me emotionally and spiritually.  I'm the proud mother of a US Marine, who will be deploying this week to Afghanistan.  There's always anxiety anytime a loved one is going off to war.......my son Marine Sgt R. Justin Cassey, and his Company 2/6 received some devastating news today that sent a reality check for all those deploying in the next couple of days.
 
My son is my HERO and early today he had sent me a text message that read and I quote "I just wanted to say that I love you", unquote.  I instantly responded "Justin, I Love You with all my heart!  You don't know how much this means to me! Mom XO".  Little did I know, that he would be phoning me a few hours later with some devastating news.  All Marines in His Company 2/6 were ordered to a location, where my son went onto say "that when he saw the Officers eyes, he saw death".  His first thought was that their Company Commander had been killed in Afghanistan.   

Two of their own were doing a sweep of an area, when one stepped on a hidden Improvised Explosive Device (IED).  In other words, a crudely made bomb well hidden by the Taliban, that upon making any kind of contact explodes and literally blows you up in pieces.  Both Marines died instantly..........and by the grace of God, I pray painlessly.  I could tell in his voice that he was not only grieving for the two fellow Marines who had been killed, but that they were his friends.  Yes, that's right, his friends!  You couldn't help but feel his fear through the phone, that in a few days he will be deployed to the very same place that his two fellow Marines and friends had been killed.

Sadly, the family members left to mourn their loss for a lifetime.  My prayers not untrue and not unkind will be with all that have not only served our country, but selflessly made the ultimate sacrifice with their lives.  May God Bless and Rest in Peace.  As a Veteran myself........."I Salute You".

1 comment:

  1. This is a very moving & lovely piece. I love the image of your son sending you a text that says, "I love you." And I really love the way you worked in the 'not unkind, not untrue' prompt. It feels perfect there. (Actually, you did a terrific job all week working in the prompts!)

    ReplyDelete