Thursday, September 10, 2009

It Was Terribly Complicated - Camilla Basham

Love has completely filleted me.
I am lying in the market like a
Gutted grouper,

Speechless.
All yearning and resilience absolutely silent.
But I am still unmarked.

All is now the same to me.

The sweep of a man’s hands
As he lifts me near,
Drawing my scent into his nostrils.
He thinks about taking me home.

The brush of a blowfly
Sipping my vital fluids
Through a peculiar fashioned flute.

The sun resting its radiant gaze upon my eyes.
Laughter and the splash from a passing taxi.

All send astounding undercurrents into my world.

Love has split me wide open.
Toss me on a scale.
Wrap me in newsprint.
Bring me home.

1 comment:

  1. This is just fabulous! I never would have thought of love with a gutted fish - and yet you make it so natural, I can't believe I never thought of it before. This is so original - and so well-done.

    ReplyDelete