Thursday, September 17, 2009

Another World/Sept. 11, 2009 - Vicki Rubini

Why did you sing
“Fly Me to the Moon”?
That’s when it started, Sinatra.
I walked into the kitchen,
Pancakes flying,
bacon sizzling,
coffee percolating.
Where was the radio?
No air waves brought this melody…
How did it happen?
It was you, just you,
Your accapella unneeding of Dorsey,
The richness too much,
Leaving me
Behind
While you went playing with the stars
Seeing life on Jupiter and Mars.

My world became creamless coffee and cold cereal.
The Little People stopped knocking at midnight for you.
My Fairy Wand, the one you gave me from your treasure chest,
Is
Broken
When I wave it.
The jelly rolls and belly laughs don’t abracadabra themselves.
Why couldn’t you have taken the gossamer keys out of your khakis
And left them for me?
Oh, to fly to the moon with you…..

1 comment:

  1. This is such an interesting departure for you! I love the way you weave the tone & mood of the Sinatra song (one of my favorites) into this story of loss. And I love 'abracadabra' as a verb. This is a lovely, poignant piece. Really well done!

    ReplyDelete