Thursday, October 15, 2009

What Happened When I Got What I Really Wanted - Camilla Basham

I wanted to grow up to be Samantha Stevens when I was little: live in a quant house, have a loving husband, wear cool mod clothes, have interesting relatives, whip up dinner for Larry and Louis Tate at a moments notice, woo my husband’s clients with my cooking skills and clever banter. Like Samantha, I wanted to be perfect and beautiful, more powerful than my husband could ever know. A twitch of the nose would clean a dirty house without breaking a sweat; a snap of the fingers would set stubborn assholes in their place and then there was Darrin; not the Dick Sargent Darrin, but the Dick York Darrin. He was awkwardly adorable, loving and looked oddly handsome in his tight fitting shiny sixties suit with skinny tie, slicked back hair and big eyes. And what happened when I got what I wanted? I realized without the magic, It kind of sucks.

2 comments:

  1. You are constantly killing me with these pieces! I just loved this one. Not only because I felt exactly the same way, but also because you said it much better than I every could. And then, you went a step further and put that zinger at the end. You need a blog, girl. Really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are SO talented, YOU ARE the magic. The magic is the way you cut right through it all; you have the sharpest knife.

    ReplyDelete