Thursday, October 1, 2009

Make a Scene - Jennifer Baljko

“Can you just stop? For one second. Please. Look, he’s not worth it,” Lynn told Marie. Marie was sitting Indian style in the middle of the bedroom muttering nonsense, moving back and forth as if her butt had a built-in rocking chair. The phone was off the hook in her lap, beeping incessantly. This was much better than watching her knock her head against the wall, pull out heaps of her own hair or try to break whatever breakable item was within arm’s reach. That was last night’s drama.

“He lied. He was with this other woman. I saw him with her,” Marie managed to get out in between deep, frantic sobs.

“Wait. How do you know he was with someone else?” Lynn quizzed, already knowing the answer.

“I followed him,” Marie fessed up. “And, then… then, I went up to talk to them. I almost punched her. I came back later with a bat and really wanted to smash his windshield. But, I just threw ketchup and mustard on it instead.”

“Oi! What the hell are you doing?” Lynn moaned. “Jesus Christ, what’s wrong with you? This guy is the biggest ass on the planet. And, now you’re acting worse than him.”

“It’s over. I told him I don’t want to see him any more,” Marie wept, rocking again with even more fervor.

“Ok, that’s a good start,” Lynn replied coolly, trying to put on an empathetic air.

“But, I LOVE him,” Marie whined. She sat still for a second while tears rolled down her face.

Lynn gave her a hug, but couldn’t stop wondering when the scene would stop repeating itself for the umpteenth time.

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, don't we all have a girlfriend like this? Good dialogue in this one. And I really like 'moving back and forth as if her butt had a built-in rocking chair.' Nice!

    ReplyDelete