Thursday, August 27, 2009

Ending Things - Melody Cryns

Sometimes it’s hard to end things.

None of us felt like packing this past weekend. My son Stevie and his girlfriend Liezl came over on Saturday with their bathing suits at around noon.

“C’mon let’s go to the pool!” Stevie said excitedly. And we all agreed that was the best thing to do. So we all got our bathing suits on and it didn’t take too long to get used to the now cool water. Funny that when I moved into the Avalon Apartments in March 2007, one of the big “perks” of living there that the staff boasted of was that their sparkling pool was heated all year round – and that they had a lovely Jacuzzi to go with it.

Now, the pool area has been remodeled and the Jacuzzi no longer exists – now there’s a fountain at the end of the pool area, which doesn’t even make sense and the pool is almost as cool as the ocean, but it’s still sparkling…guess even the Avalon wants to make money – it’s hard to believe that the rent they charge won’t even cover pool heating.

Anyway, we swam in the pool and played a type of football game while I sang Beatles songs in the water because I liked the way the songs echoed in the pool area. “I’m preparing for Beatles Rock Band!” I said and the kids just laughed at me.

This was supposed to be our packing weekend – we’re ending our stay here at the Avalon very soon – but instead of packing, what did we do?

I took off for Half Moon Bay with my friend Vikki to watch the Megatones play at a brewery down on a pier, and Megan and her boyfriend went to a party in the Los Altos Hills. You’d think we were in the “jet set” or something when in actuality, we’re bailing out of Avalon World because I can’t afford it – an overpriced “luxury apartment complex.” So there I was dancing and rocking out to loud classic rock music, watching the guys play whom I know so well, especially the lead guitarist, Mike Sult, who is my long-time friend and guitar teacher. He isn’t as showy as some of the lead guitarists I’ve seen, but he can really play guitar – he can play anything.

Yesterday was a wash too – and packing still remains undone and we’re under the wire. I find myself remembering other moves we’ve made, some of them we wanted to make and others we didn’t…

But then I realize that it will get done, and sometimes it’s hard to end things and just leave.

1 comment:

  1. This is one of those pieces where you just describe what you did (or in this case, didn't do) and it adds up to something more than the sum of its parts. There's a lovely sadness - and resiliency in this one. Very moody, and moving. Lovely last line as well.

    ReplyDelete