Saturday, August 1, 2009

Eating Outside - Randy Wong

Troy could tell something was up with Clark. The two had known each other since college. After graduation, they both got jobs with companies on the same side of town which allowed them to have lunch on a regular basis. The two would always talk about gossip at work and sports. Today, Clark’s conversation was all over the place like he couldn’t concentrate. Finally, Troy stopped his bizarre commentary on field hockey on cable television to ask him what was on his mind.

Clark smiled. He took a quick look around, and then leaned closer to Troy. “You’re right. I’ve got a big announcement. I’m gonna ask Brianna to marry me.”

Troy nearly choked on his french fries. After several moments of coughing, he replied, “Marriage? Are you sure? You’ve only known Brianna for about … what? Six months?’

Clark smiled and shook his head. “It doesn’t matter how long, my friend. When you know, you know, and I can tell you right now – she is the one.”

Troy shook his head emphatically. “Oh? You know? How many times have I heard the ‘you know when you know’ speech the past couple of years?”

Clark waived his at Troy’s face. “Dude. C’mon. I had to date all those other women to figure out what I really wanted. That’s the whole point of dating.”

“Clark, how many people do you know talk about marriage after a handful of dates, only to find something wrong with ‘the one’ after a couple of months?”

“Umm, everyone does that?”

Troy laughed. “You got me there.”

A waitress came by to clear their plates. Troy and Clark ordered their usual cups of hot green tea as they continued their conversation.

“Listen, Clark. How do you really know? I mean, what so different now compared to the other times? Who was the gal you were with last year? That lawyer who went psycho on you?”

“Gina. She was not a psycho. She was ‘type A.’ She wanted to know why I wasn’t up for any promotions. I guess the fast track that I was on was not fast enough for her.”

“Right. How about the dancer? Or the gymnast? Which one hit you in the head?”

Clark sighed. “Alice was the dancer. Julie was the gymnast. Neither one hit me, man.”

“Are you sure? I thought the gymnast was the one who did that thing where she threw both feet over her head? Didn’t she nail your head on the back swing?”

Clark shook his head slowly. “No. Remember, I hurt myself when I stood up from the mattress and hit my head on the trapeze bar.”

Troy put his hand on Clark’s shoulder. “Listen. You’re my best buddy. I love you. I just don’t want you to get hurt. All I’m asking is to wait a week or two. Don’t jump into anything. You’re still young. Let it simmer for a bit, and if you still feel the same way, then I will support your decision.”

Troy stuck out his right hand. Clark reached out with his clasped his hand into Troy’s. “Thanks, Troy. That really means a lot. Tell you what. I will mull over this for a week or two, then we can get together for lunch again, and I will tell you what I decided. Who knows? Like you said, I’m still young.”

Troy playfully slapped Clark across the face. “There you go. Take your time.”

Clark pounded his hand against Troy’s back. “What about you, Troy? You haven’t seen anyone for a long while.”

Troy finished the last of his green tea and set the cup on the saucer. He ran his forefinger around the rim as if lost in thought. “I don’t know, man. I’m just dating around right now. I guess I am still trying to figure it out, you know?”

“Sure.

“Say Clark. Do you still have the number for that gymnast?”

1 comment:

  1. I like the dialogue in this. You're very good about telling a lot of the story in dialogue. I like also how you tend to end pieces with a nice (and often funny) wrap-up, like a kind of punch line.

    ReplyDelete