Thursday, November 11, 2010

Watching Out - Elizabeth Weld Nolan

I was annoyed at my mother. Through no fault of hers, I was feeling cooped up in her apartment where I had come to look after my fading parent. I was wild to get out.

``Let’s go look at the sunset in the mountain park.’’ She came reluctantly, but she came. She toiled up the path to the benches, rocking from side to side like a little bear, my little bear. I didn’t, then, recognize Parkinson’s. We sat on the concrete bench and looked west over Albuquerque, the land sweeping from the Sandias behind us, to the great plain cut by the Rio Grande to Mount Taylor, rising to a point, unaccompanied by other mountains.


I got up to do my tai chi, wishing she would move with me. It would do her so much good. She never did want to learn about it for herself, but she watched me carefully.

Finally, she said, ``This bench is too hard,’’ and made her way slowly back down the path. I saw, on the far path, a young man striding up the mountain, maybe off for a hike. At this hour?

She stopped, turned her head and then her whole body as he walked steadily up and out of sight. Then she went back down the path in the red sunset light. The car door chunked. I finished, not cooped up anymore. In the car, I turned to her.

``Were you watching out for me back there, that man?’’ She smiled, looking straight ahead.

``I was,’’ she said.

5 comments:

  1. This is a perfect piece - you could send it out as piece of flash fiction, it's that beautifully-shaped. I love the image of the mother as a little bear, and I absolutely love the final two lines of dialogue. A wonderful peice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s very informative and you are obviously very knowledgeable in this area. You have opened my eyes to varying views on this topic with interesting and solid content. click here

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really enjoying reading your well written articles. It looks like you spend a lot of effort and time on your blog. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles. Keep up the good work. common coffee brewing styles

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really nice and interesting post. I was looking for this kind of information and enjoyed reading this one. Keep posting. Thanks for sharing. top coffee regions worldwide

    ReplyDelete
  5. Regular visits listed here are the easiest method to appreciate your energy, which is why why I am going to the website everyday, searching for new, interesting info. Many, thank you! best places to visit Sri Lanka

    ReplyDelete