Friday, November 19, 2010

A Big Deal - Elizabeth Weld Nolan

``We have to do something major for your thirteenth birthday, dear one. It’s when you become a man, and it’s honored in many cultures with a ceremony.’’ She smiled and her eyes gleamed at the thought of putting together a festivity.

Pete shrugged his shoulders and looked at the ground.

``Gran, I’m not sure –‘’

``Nonsense. What would you like to do and who would you like to invite?’’ Pete looked at her with dismay.

``You don’t mean a party? With friends and everything? I don’t know.’’ Pete blushed and rubbed his nose. He loved his grandmother who was lively and interested in everything he did, but this was a little too lively.

``We could have a dancing party, or go somewhere on a train,’’ she went on. ``Or we could hire a carriage and drive through the city. Or we could take a trip. We could go to Paris or Hawaii or Sacramento. We could go the top of a hotel and watch the sunset before we go to a play. We could go to spring training. We could fly over the Grand Canyon.’’

``They don’t let people fly over it any more, Gran, and besides, I don’t want to do any of those things.’’

``Oh,’’ she sitting down and taking a deep breath. ``I’m doing it again. You see, it’s just because it’s such a big, big deal.’’

``I know,’’ he said, relenting. ``I might want to go to spring training, though.’’ He put his chin in his hand and grinned at her. Her smile came suddenly and she glowed.

``Ah – we could go to Florida to see the Red Sox, or Phoenix to see the Giants. We could stay in the Western Horizon ranch and ride and hike – ‘’

``Gran, stop. You’re running away with me.’’

She looked embarrassed,``Oh.’’ she said. ``I’m doing it again. I’m sorry, Pete. I’ll stop planning. You think about it and I’ll stay out of it.’’

He smiled at her again.``It’s OK, Gran. No big deal.’’
But it was.

1 comment:

  1. I always like dialogue pieces, and you do a terrific job with this one. There's so much lovely subtext beneath this one, we sense the love between these two people, the grandmother's desire to make the grandson happy, the grandson's desire not to hurt the grandmother's feelings. It's all there bubbling beneath the surface of their words. Wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete