Saturday, December 19, 2009

This Was The First Time I Ever Did It - Melody Cryns

I never leave my cell phone on silent all night long, never…I always make sure it’s on just in case – oh I don’t know what, but just in case. So last night when I returned from my final class I still had the phone on silent, even when I set it down on the bedside table next to my bed. I felt tired, very tired…as if I had just climbed a huge mountain and now the journey was finally over and I could relax for a while and enjoy the upcoming holidays…

Who’d have known that the one night my cell phone was on silent my son Jeremy would attempt to call me at 6:00 am and then again at 6:30 am…if he tried the house phone no one heard it because it’s in the living room…

Who’d have known I’d receive a simple text from Jeremy’s girlfriend Jen that I wouldn’t look at until around 8:00 a.m. this morning? The message at 6:48 a.m. this morning said, “Floyd just passed away.”

Suddenly everything was spinning and I felt my whole world had just crumbled…

“Oh no!” I yelled.

“What?” Megan ran into the kitchen. “We have to go Mom, we’re late…are you okay?”

“Floyd’s gone,” I said simply…

“What?”

We held each other and cried – Floyd-the-dog so noble and beautiful…how could he be gone? And the one night I had my phone on silent Jeremy tried to get a hold of me in the early morning hours…I wasn’t there for him as he made the mad dash with his girlfriend Jen holding Floyd-the-dog in the front seat from East San Jose to Adobe Animal Hospital in Los Altos…Jeremy used to work there and he knew that’s where he’d find the best veterinarian in the entire San Francisco Bay Area and only the best for Floyd…

I wasn’t there when Jeremy begged the Vet to save Floyd-the-Dog, please…please save him. Finally, the Vet had looked at Jeremy and simply said, “He just wants to die – it’s his time. There’s nothing more that I can do.”

I wasn’t there when Jeremy and Jen held each other…all I got was the text message at 6:38 a.m.

Early this morning we lost our beautiful, noble friend Floyd-the-Dog who died of natural causes when his heart stopped... My son Jeremy drove him all the way from East San Jose to Adobe Animal Hospital in Los Altos and begged the vet to revive Floyd, whose heart kept stopping...the Vet valiantly attempted, but finally looked at Jeremy and said, "He just wants to die...it's his time to go."

It's been a rough morning for all of us as I've watched my family band together in this great time of sorrow and I am so grateful that I saw Floyd-the-dog just last Saturday when he spent the day at our apartment -- not having any idea it would be the last time...

Life is precious as was our beloved Floyd-the-dog...we will always love him.

1 comment:

  1. You do a terrific job conveying the sadness here - particularly when you describe the scene (even tho you weren't there) at the Vet's office. It's very moving, without ever going overboard. Nice!

    ReplyDelete