Saturday, December 19, 2009

I Imagined Every Bit of It - Marigrace Bannon

I imagined every bit of it, but it was mostly an influence of the movies. Mary Poppins, that Darn Cat, Patty Duke and then there was Gidget. A flying nun and flash forward to the beach dancing in a bikini and looking really cute. What a combo, pious and sexy. Is that what I wanted in my life? I’ve imagined many things over the years. Early on I believed in great blazing love, which really turns out to be passion that ignites, smolders and then someone has to take out the garbage. So you never see the garbage in the movies or the bill paying or even the light bulb burning out. And when the light bulb does go out, and they do, doesn’t it always come as the biggest surprise going on? And then you go through that bulb’s history. When did I last change it, it couldn’t have been that long ago, was it? Did someone hold the ladder for me, or did someone just change my bulb? I believed in the romantic notion of marriage and children, but that wasn’t the script of my movie. I remember in my forties, that reality was hard to grasp. Like I was left out. The extra in the non-descript scene. But I became a director with many scene changes…

1 comment:

  1. I love what you do with this prompt! And where it takes you. The pop culture references, the metaphorical (and literal) light bulb, the script of your movie - all terrific!

    ReplyDelete