Monday, June 15, 2009

Reading - Chris Callaghan

I have fifteen bookcases in my house and every single one is stuffed with books. Also every other flat surface has at least a few books on it, some have stacks.

Every couple of years I pull the books off the bookcase shelves and try to get organized, alphabetically, by author. For a month or two it stays tidy but then I keep buying books at thrift stores and garage sales and jamming the ones I can’t bear to part with horizontally onto the shelves.

I don’t just love reading, I’m addicted.

I learned to read before I started kindergarten, egged on by my mother who, although she couldn’t give me her love, gave me her love of books. I will forever be thankful for those weekly trips to the library. The kind librarian introduced me to the children’s section where I discovered that sticking my head in a book and reading gave me unlimited access to lives much better than the one I was stuck in.

Of course reading led me naturally to writing. The old “I could do that” syndrome popped up in me when I read my first Dr. Suess book. So I did, I think I was ten or maybe eight.

I started keeping a journal when I was twelve and haven’t been able to put my pen down since. Thank God.

Reading has gotten me through many a tough time in my life, and writing is still the cheapest therapy I know of. For me, they go together like cookies and milk. I never go anywhere without a book and something to write on.

For years I believed that this love of reading was a common human denominator, but alas it just ain’t so. Now I ask every new person I meet, “Do you read?” with a maniacal gleam in my eye and the fantasy in my mind that if I can just give them the right book they’ll be hooked. Sometimes I succeed. I had a 35 year old sailor friend once who told me he had never read a book all the way through, never. So I went on a mission to find him a book that would keep his interest. I gave him ‘Mutiny on the Bounty’ which he finished even though it took him six months. I was so thrilled for him; I gave him the other two books of that trilogy.

I can’t imagine existing without reading. Books are my friends, teachers, travel guides, and treasure. Sometimes I just sit in front of the bookcases and look at all my wealth. Sometimes I look at the titles on the spines and plan a trip, where will I go today?

Right now I have to go to the thrift store. Why? Because I need more books.

3 comments:

  1. I assigned this prompt because I love to read about people who love reading. What I particularly liked about your take on this was the graph on how much it means to you to get somebody else hooked on reading. I love the 'maniacal gleam.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never leave the house without something to read and something to write with. Sure sounds familiar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I consume at least a book a week, and understand the maniacal gleam. I'm looking over my left shoulder at one section of my bookcase. These are books I've just read, am reading, or preparing to read: Michael Crichton's "State of Fear", Robert Dallek's "An Unfinished Life", Kahlil Gibran's "The Prophet", Khaled Hosseini's "Kite Runner", Philip Pullman "His Dark Materials", James Michener's "The Source", "The Plays of Oscar Wilde" and Clive Cussler's "The Skeleton Coast". There are a lot of voices echoing in my head...gets kinda crowded in there in a wonderful party sorta way. LOVE Creative Caffeine.

    ReplyDelete