Sunday, June 7, 2009

Marriage - Andrew Hamilton

“This is the part of the job I hate the most”

“Yeah, I know what you mean, what is it about slimy warm ketchup that grosses me out?”

“Well, it’s slimy and dried for one!” Kathy exclaimed as she took another two bottles of half used ketchup and began the process of marrying them into one. The rest were splayed in around her on the table as if she were embroiled in a carnival game trying to win a big stuffed animal.

“So, are you working a double this weekend,” Kathy asked.

“I don’t know. Johnny is supposed to cover for me but he ain’t called me yet.”

“Yeah, good luck with that.”

“Ha! I know, right. Like, he is such a douche sometimes.”

Kathy ignored this last comment. She tilted her head slightly and her brunette hair fell from behind her ear, covering the dangly silver earring that Johnny had given her just last week.
“Well, that’s maybe a bit harsh. I just mean that he isn’t good at keeping a schedule.”

Cheryl looked at her. When she did, some ketchup missed its aim and slid down the bottle onto her finger. “Shit!”

Kathy laughed and when she did, her ketchup slipped the opening and ran down into the crevices between her thumb and forefinger.

“Ewww!” Cheryl yelled, and the girls laughed.

“We can’t do this for shit!” Kathy said.

“Yeah, what happens when we have to marry for real?”
Cheryl’s phone rang just then.

“Well speak of the devil.”

2 comments:

  1. As always, terrific writing here! What grabbed me about this one is how inventive it is. This is the perfect example of letting the prompt take you wherever it lead you - and then some. Because where it took was is just so original & fun. Plus, I've never seen anybody turn dripping ketchup erotic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love your take on the prompt. ++ The silver earring,and that last line. HA!

    ReplyDelete