Tuesday, January 11, 2011

This Was the Explanation - Melody Cryns

So, with the new year, I made this decision. I’m going to get up early and write my creative caffeine, then I’m going to dash off to Curves right down the street and exercise – all before work! Yes, it will all work out just fine. But, first, I had a serious matter to contend with. I’d just moved into the Linden Arms Apartments, and I had to talk to Helga, the kind, quirky property manager who had rented me the apartment. I had to let her know I couldn’t pay the rent in full until the 8th – all my checks are postdated. I fretted about how I’d tell her – worried that she’d look at me in a bad light. I’m sure my kids had problems coming up with rent money on time – she’d probably just think I was a flake.

But, hey, I’m doing the best I can. I walked down the hallway of the Linden Arms Apartments with our little white dog, Sydney. I saw Helga sitting in the office talking on the phone, an older robust German lady who laughed a lot and talked incessantly. She’d cornered my daughter Megan many times already and talked her ear off.

“I used to be wild like you!” Helga explained, her German accent still obvious. “I used to dance on top of tables in Germany, but now I don’t do anything!”

I saw Helga’s sister. I couldn’t remember her name until Megan told me. “Her name’s Patricia.”

She wore bright red woolly socks and a nightgown. “I know I don’t look my best,” she said, also with a German accent, “But these socks were handmade in Germany and they are very warm. Can I give your dog a cookie?”

I stood in the hallway and waited for Patricia to get a dog cookie, holding my checkbook, poised for negotiation, nervous about what I’d say – I felt as if “excuses” ruled my life.

After Sydney had gobbled down the dog cookie, I took her outside to sniff and hoped she didn’t have to do other business because I’d forgotten the doggie bag. It was a cool, sunny afternoon. My friend Emily was coming over to help me hang pictures in the new apartment – she had actual tools for this endeavor which she said was like an art. I believed her.

I finally walked into Helga’s office and sat down. People always feel they can sit down in Helga’s office – people hang out there, and sometimes they hug Helga or bring her hot soup. She was on the phone, “I need to start walking again,” she told someone.

“How are you doing? How was your new year? Your daughter said you were going out to hear music? How exciting!”

Wow, news traveled fast. “Yes, I had a comp ticket to see the Megatones. They were great! Live classic rock and I danced the night away!”

“Oooohh, you are so lucky. I spent new year’s eve alone – I didn’t know where to go. There was a time I was the party girl. But now I’m 60…”

“I’ve had parties at my apartments before,” I said. “One year we made the kitchen into a dance floor and used a disco ball Megan had and we invited all the neighbors!” And we were all dancing in the kitchen at midnight – and then we all went out on the balcony and yelled happy new year.”

Wait a second, I thought. I’m telling the property manager where I live this. What’s wrong with this picture?

“Ohhh, how wonderful! I wish you’d done that this year. I would’ve come. Maybe next year!”

I breathed a sigh of relief, still fiddling with the checkbook.

We talked a little more and I finally came out with it. “See, I just moved and then it was Christmas, and then, the IRS…I need to pay the rent on the eighth…I feel bad ‘cause I just moved in here…”

“Okay, that’s okay…there is a $50 late fee…” Helga said.

“I understand. I’ll write you a postdated check.”

“But for you, I’ll make it $25, okay?”

“Okay, thanks!” I breathed a big sigh of relief.

Just then I saw my friend Emily walk through the door with her metal box filled with tools. She was going to ring the doorbell, but I waved at her and she walked into Helga’s office. Helga already met Emily and her boyfriend Freddie the night we drank some shots to celebrate moving into the new apartment – and Emily and I were singing Beatles songs in the apartment and on our way up the stairs to the laundry room. She liked Emily and Freddie.

“Ohhh hello!” Helga said to Emily. “I thought you might want to get an apartment here. We have a one bedroom coming up!”

“Well, me and Freddie are looking for a two bedroom, but maybe…” Emily laughed.

“But it would be fun to have you here!” Helga said. “Maybe you’d have parties.”

“Ohh, we’d have barbecues out by the pool during the summer,” Emily laughed.

“Wonderful!” Helga said. “Oooohh, don’t worry about that late fee at all – I’ll be nice this time.”

“Are you sure? Thanks!” I said.

When we finally walked back to the apartment, I felt as if a big weight had been lifted…

1 comment:

  1. I like the way you portray Helga here. You really create her as a real person on the page, with all her foibles. She just comes alive & we fall in love with her. Terrific dialogue as well. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete