Tuesday, January 11, 2011

This Was the Explanation - E. D. James

Olivia straddled Arch’s chest and held his shoulders to the bed, “You tell me that the CIA is watching our every move and you act as if that statement doesn’t need any explanation? It may be a part of your life but it certainly isn’t a part of mine. Why didn’t you warn me?”

“How could you not know? Or at least suspect? This is a major oilfield development on the border between Russia and China being developed by a Russian-American joint venture. Are you that naïve?” Arch said.

“You could have said something,” Olivia said and puckered her mouth and pursed her lips and bent closer as if preparing to spit in his face.

Arch struggled beneath her and she dug her knees into his upper arms and leveraged her weight onto her hands. “Alright, I’m sorry. It’s not the kind of thing we talk about. Everyone just assumes it’s going on and that everything is bugged so that everything you say might be overheard. I didn’t want to freak you out.”

“Freak me out? Now you are freaking me out. The thought of someone recording me fucking you in your cabin is seriously freaking me out. Not to mention them overhearing our conversations about what is going on out there.”

“My cabin is clean. This is a safe place. I wouldn’t let you hang out there like that, I hope you know that.”

Olivia felt the bubble of anger and pain that had welled up her burst and she flattened her body onto Arch and pulled him over onto his side.

1 comment:

  1. You came back from the break like gangbusters - a really terrific week for you. I love this one - you finally let Olivia cut loose! Took some risk with her character & it really paid off. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete