Saturday, October 16, 2010

That Was Before - E. D. James

“I won’t deny that I told you I believed that the truth would win out in the end, but that was before the Russians made it clear that there was only one truth,” Arch said.

“So what, now you’re just going to fold up and give it to them?” Olivia said as she stood small space in front of his in front of his desk and turned to grab the handle of the door.

Arch stood and laid his hand on her shoulder, “Wait. I didn’t say I was giving up on dealing with the environmental problem, only that we need to give up on helping Drake and Kotlas keep this oilfield.”

Olivia turned back to look into his eyes. They stood face to face in the close quarters. “Don’t you work for them?”

“I do, but I’m not going down with the ship. This isn’t about what’s happening to the wildlife out there, it never was. Once we give up on that we can work with Semyon and Boris and get them to do what’s right.”

“Now who’s the dreamer? You think we can work with people who make up lies?”

“They are in tough spot, but they’re good people. Once their bosses get what they want, those two will do the right thing.”

“I don’t care who gets the oil. But I don’t trust the Russians.”

“Do you trust me?”

1 comment:

  1. You had an especially good week this week. I like what you do with the dialogue here. You advance the story, give us subtext between the characters, don't overwrite it. All very good. I also really loved your Taking it to the Limit piece.

    ReplyDelete