Sunday, March 29, 2009

This is What Scares Me - Anne Wright

Black oxfords on old women, you know the ones: thick stable rubber soles, round toes, hefty laces. The kind of shoes that hide twisted toes and bunions. Tops that come up just a little too high and press into the swollen ankle flesh. The kind of shoes that hide feet that once were smooth and pink, with perfect arches as high as a bridge and pretty painted nails in the season’s new color. The kind of shoes that took the place of the curvy pointy stilettos that helped reach up to kiss him are now grounded black oxfords, flat on the floor, helping the feet along, carrying the awkward body as it trudges along in its aged gait.

2 comments:

  1. The beauty of this piece is how create an entire world out of a single object - the oxford shoes. Through this shoes, I get a complete image, not only of the old woman, but of her life. Thanks to you, they scare me too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Janis. It's brilliant how you use this conceit to reflect on a woman's life story. Now I have to run to my closet and throw out anything resembling black oxfords. That scares me more than the age spots "I hardly ever look at anymore."

    ReplyDelete