Sunday, March 8, 2009

This Is Not Enlightenment - Joyce Roschinger

I am sitting here across from you this morning. You've asked m to come to your office. You're on the phone and your blackberry has gone off and is playing Riders of the Purple Storm. I hum along. You've called me into your office because I came in late to work again. Four times now in two weeks. You place your blackberry face down on your desk. And you begin by telling me what I already know. That I have been late four times in two weeks. I think about what I am going to say, I wait for an opening, but you are speaking in sentences and now I am going to have to raise my hand to ask permission to speak, but your sentences have turned into paragraphs and I stand up and say stop talking and listen to me but you do not hear me because you are speaking in paragraphs and you answer your blackberry and begin to write on a legal pad and you signal to me with your finger to wait but I beat you to it and I signal to you with my hand, I am finished, done, through, talking to you.

2 comments:

  1. I love the rhythm and the voice of this! It turns a small moment into a prose poem.Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The phrase "speaking in paragraphs" says so much. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete