Sunday, March 1, 2009

A Story With the Words - Lust, Lipstick, Loss, Locked - Carol Arnold

I’ve lost a lot of things in my life, but the loss of my trailer key was just too much. It’s funny how things start with something simple like that and before you know it they get complicated. One thing leads to another and, if you’re like me anyway, you end up in trouble.

So there I was locked out not knowing what to do when Joe waves from his Fifth Wheel. I didn’t want to kick the door in just yet, so I thought maybe I’d go over to Joe’s to see if he knew how to jimmy a window or something. Ok, I have to admit I might lust after Joe now and then, in fact smeared on some new lipstick just before I went over, but nothing had ever happened between us before, so how did I know that day would be different.

The problem was, as soon as he opened the door, I saw he was drunk. Now, I don’t like drunks, my father being the biggest one of all, so any lust I had for Joe before he opened the door melted like bacon grease in a frying pan. As soon as he sees me he grabs me and plants a big kiss on my mouth, slobbering all over like he’s one of those big old St Bernard dogs. It wasn’t long before I realized he humps like one too, a big old bumbling goofball. I could’ve pushed him off with one finger if I wanted, but decided not to. I thought maybe I could get him to sober up for the next time, so I decided to go through the motions and see what happened. Something happened all right and here he is sitting in my lap, a big old baby boy, drooling on me just like his Papa.

3 comments:

  1. In just three paragraphs, Carol creates a memorable character and an entire world. I love the voice! I also love lust melting like bacon grease in a frying pan. Terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh melting lust, wonderful. And I really liked the slobbering St.Bernard. Great job, Carol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just never saw that last sentence coming. What a great job of taking all the images full circle.

    ReplyDelete