Friday, February 18, 2011

Wandering - Maria Robinson

Miriam

Unmoored, I am wandering around like the ancestors of old. My people after the destruction of Jerusalem. How we spread to the four corners of the East and West, China, Iraq, Spain. Morocco. Here I am from the Upper West Side, a village of profs and private alternative schools and Columbia, Harlem and Zabar's found in quiet beach front cafes run by Russian emigres, filled with families knit together by ritual and perception. A people beyond oceans and mountains and Romans and Visigoths and Egyptians and Almohads. I come from a people how have settled and still moved and wandered through it all.

1 comment:

  1. I love the way this one moves out, beyond the character's boundaries and into the world of her culture. Very beautiful writing as always.

    ReplyDelete