Thursday, September 23, 2010

Love is Easy - Anne Freeman

Love is as easy as a root canal, even the easiest of loves. What a laugh I find this quote. It must be dripping with sarcasm – it has to be. But I will agree that falling in love is easy. I fall in love twenty times a day, and yes, when I fall in love it is with an idea. An idea of the case that will make my career and take two years off my track to being partner. An idea of a date with that man whom is nothing like my husband and will make me forget the difficult discussions about refinancing our home, or his need to get in better health to pass the upcoming life insurance physical exam. An idea of my pied a terre in New York City that I can slip away to and soak in a bubble bath with a glass of wine, overlooking the city’s sparkling lights. An idea of promoting my books and making a healthy living at it, no longer needing to shepherd people through their divorces for a cut of my billable hours.

The ideas are intoxicating. No, I cannot resist them, nor should I, for underneath them lie what I long for and am missing. I cannot hope to love my life today unless I analyze what wish each idea is fulfilling. The ideas are easy; I’ll daydream all day, until the lack of action and productivity makes me sick, literally, with anxiety at my dishonesty.

1 comment:

  1. A tough piece, but really compelling because of its honesty. And I love the first line! Terrific tone.

    ReplyDelete