Thursday, September 9, 2010

Hope - Kent Wright

-When are you coming? You said but I forgot to write it down.

-Thursday Dad. I’ll pick up a car so I should be home 8 – 8:30.

-What will you want for supper? I can hardly cook so if you want something special you’d better tell me.

-I’ll eat something on the way. Don’t worry about cooking for me.

-How’s the weather out there? Been cool here so you better bring a jacket.

-Fine. It’s been fine here.

-How long you going to be home for Alice?

-Until Monday Dad. I have to be back for work.

-You mean next Monday? Why would you want to come all that way and turn around and go right back?

-It had to be a quick trip, but I wanted to come back for the school reunion. Remember?

-No. You never said anything to me about the reunion. You never used to come back for that when your Mother was alive. She was always after you to come back.

-Well, for some reason or another it was never the right time then I guess.

-Well, I hope the weather is nice for you. Supposed to be rain by the weekend. Be a mess if it rains.

-The reunion is in the gym so it won’t matter that much.

-Now when did you tell me you were coming?

1 comment:

  1. What I love so much about this is the way you distill the entire relationship into this bit of dialogue. I know everything I need to know about these people, and I learn all of it through their words. This is so tricky to do - and so satisfying to read!

    ReplyDelete