Friday, November 6, 2009

I Couldn't Take My Eyes Off It - Kiran Giand

She sat down at a table at the other end of the restaurant. Normally I wouldn’t have noticed her. The large sapphire droplets around her neck caught light and seared back at me in the most intense shade of blue I’d seen since snorkeling off Bocas del Toro.

Throughout our working lunch, I kept glancing at her neck. She probably thought I was hitting on her. The truth is, I’d never seen a piece of jewelry that so totally captivated me.

As she removed our menus, the waitress mentioned the woman was an heiress of the Brown family fortune.

“Who are you talking about?”

“The woman you’ve been staring at since you arrived.”

“Oh, did you see her necklace?”

“Rumor has it that was a gift from the Prince of Monaco.”

I raised my left eyebrow as if this meant something to me, though in reality, I didn’t even know who either of them were.

As she was leaving, I lifted my wine glass in her direction, like I was one of the many fans following her every move while she was in San Francisco. The gesture was simply applauding her taste in jewelry.

1 comment:

  1. I picked this one because it's such an interesting departure for you. And because it's just so present in the character's head, and in the moment. Very fun. Very, very interesting!

    ReplyDelete