Saturday, January 17, 2009

Trina Wood - What I Threw Away

It sounds so cliché, like the title of some cheesy country western song, “I threw away the love of the best man I’ve ever known…” But that’s the painful reality or near so anyway. The man who had stuck $1.86 in coins on his forehead on a sultry August night to charm my five year old daughter and make her think he was magic, the man who peeled pomegranates from the tree in his backyard to pull out the seeds for a reduction sauce over pork chops the first time he cooked for me, the man who made me take the three week gig in France at the Cannes Film Festival and watched my daughter part of the time I was gone, the man who stood under a massive oak and told me he loved me just a little bit more every day in front of our small group of wedding guests. All for another man who was equally a good cook, who encouraged me to follow my passion for photography, who looked me in the eyes as if seeing through to their depths below. But he wasn’t mine to have and what he gave was dishonesty and pain in the end. I foolishly believed I’d lost everything for short bursts of illicit passion, to feel like a 16 year old once again, but the love I thought I’d thrown away took root in the garbage and began to grow once more.

2 comments:

  1. This took such a turn in the piece that it shocked me! I love the last sentence...such images! This was so powerful. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cest la vie... am sure given the circumstances you took the best decision. In hindsight we can always beat ourselves up, but that doesn't help. Whats imp is to accept the past (writing it down is a great way :), say to your self .... I am ready to find love again and step out to do so.
    The best thing abt life is that every moment can be a new begining if we allow it to be....

    ReplyDelete