Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Keeping It Secret - Melody Cryns

Tonight I walked into my favorite coffee shop in downtown Mountain View and ordered a double mint mocha, just like old times. And Blue House, the acoustic rock band of two gals and a guy are playing their lovely music and singing…

“It’s my life, here I am…take a moment to share my history!” Brian sings…it’s a song he wrote and I love it. It reminds me of writing, sharing our history, every time I hear Brian sing that song, Marline playing the other acoustic guitar and singing harmony and Amy on bass…

Aaron is working at the counter – he’s been here at the coffee shop ever since I can remember…when I used to bring Megan here and she was just a little red headed, freckle faced kid. He always threatened to sell Megan to the gypsies and she’d laugh and swing on his outstretched tattooed muscular arm…

Now Megan is 18 and that young girl has disappeared, and I haven’t ordered a real double mint mocha in about two years – you know, all the calories and the sugar. But tonight I decided I had to get a double mint mocha. Aaron said, “with whipped cream?” And I said yes, with whipped cream.

It’s just one of those nights. I’ve had a rough day filled with car trouble…overheating issues. I haven’t had car problems like this for a while now. Ever since my kids were younger and I could never afford a decent car.

So I sit here at the coffee shop listening to Blue House remembering my little girl who is now grown…and how it was, and how some things just never seem to change.

I look out the window and see the tree branches and the shining lamps and the tables and chairs outside, just as they always were…and Aaron’s still here, and so is Shadow…and Blue House is still playing. And I’m still sipping on a double mint mocha. And my car has air bubbles, so they say…at least it’s not a blown head gasket.

1 comment:

  1. I just love this small moment in time. You write it beautifully. It's very poignant. And I love that you focus only on it, this small present. It might be my favorite thing of yours - lovely that it came at the end.

    ReplyDelete